Tuesday, April 13, 2004

B"H

Religious Fasting

I worked for about an hour on a write-up for Yom HaKippurim, which is
generally known as a day of fasting, as well as the self-denial of
other physical pleasures and luxuries. Just as I was about to
transfer it from Word to here my computer crashed and I lost the
write-up. I took that as a hint from Heaven to shut up and listen to
others.

When I searched the net for sites about Yom HaKippurim to post the
links to here, I saw that they require knowledge of Hebrew and
Talmud. Inappropriate. Hmmm. What to do?

I decided to start a topic about fasting in various traditions and
invite you all to post your understandings about what they are and
what they mean. Fasting, after all, is what we're doing when we're
not eating.

Fasting is the fast lane on the high road to moral/spiritual
advancement universally. Fasting is paradoxical, as is eating. It
both harms and purifies the body.

Why do you think this is so? What can we learn from the phenomenon of
fasting. Why do Humans fast of our own free will?

May we, and all of creation together with us, be inscribed and signed
in the Book of Life for a Good Year on Yom HaKippurim.

Doreen